The Federal Employee Viewpoint Survey (FEVS) is an annual tool for employees to share their perceptions about their work experiences, their agency, and leadership. Employee feedback is voluntary, confidential, and anonymous.
FY 2023 FEVS at a Glance:
- Administered by the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) on behalf of the Department of the Interior (DOI);
- Survey runs between May 15, 2023, through June 30, 2023;
- Will be disseminated to a full census of the DOI Workforce, rather than a sample population;
- Is open to employees who were on board with DOI no later than November 30, 2022 (political appointees, contractors, and non-Federal employees are not eligible)
- Survey eligibility is expanded to non-permanent, seasonal, and intermittent employees;
- OPM will resume detailed reporting resumed at the lower-level offices; and
- Will include questions that support the implementation of Executive Order 14035 Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility in the Federal Workforce.
The Department of the Interior is committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive work environment. DOI strives to ensure workplaces are safe and engaging, whether an employee is remote, teleworking, or at one of DOI’s 2,400 operating locations.
FY 2022 FEVS By the Numbers:
- 57,689 DOI employees received the survey
- 27,014 employees responded
- 47% DOI response rate compared to 35% government-wide
- 70% of employeees believe that DOI is fully committed to DEIA
The Department’s Employee Engagement Index (EEI) score was the same as the score in FY 2021 and remained at 70 percent in FY 2022. The EEI measures the extent to which an agency created an environment conducive to high employee satisfaction with their job and commitment to the organization and mission.
The Department’s Global Satisfaction Index (GSI) score decreased from 65 percent in FY 2021 to 63 percent in FY 2022. The GSI measures employees’ satisfaction with their job, pay and the organization.
The Department’s Performance Confidence Index (PCI) score was the same as the score in FY 2021 and remained at 84 percent in FY 2022. The PCI measures employees’ belief that their work unit improved in processes, product, services, outcome, and achieve organizationally.
The Department’s Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility (DEIA) score, which is a new index for FY 2022, was 70 percent. The DEIA measures employees’ belief that their organization is committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility.
FY 2022 FEVS pandemic-related questions:
- Our employees’ responses on the FY 2022 FEVS reflect their resilience during the continued an unprecedented time. Based on the survey results, our workforce demonstrated that, despite the uncertainties and hardships encountered throughout the COVID-19 emergency, we remain committed to accomplishing critical work and delivering public services to the American people.
- The Department’s FY 2022 telework participation rate as reported by FEVS respondents is 64 percent and remote work is 14 percent. DOI's FY 2022 telework participation rate remained higher than the Government-wide FY 2022 telework participation rate of 55 percent. The ability to telework is one of the key drivers of employee satisfaction and maximizes organizational performance.
- DOI respondents indicated that 77 percent of their senior leaders and 88 percent of their supervisors demonstrated a commitment to their health and safety. Employees who feel their health and safety is a priority are likelier to remain dedicated to accomplishing their mission work.
- In FY 2022, 57 percent of DOI's workforce was not physically present on the worksite, and 61 percent of DOI's re-entry work arrangements are fair in accounting for employees' diverse needs and situations.
Your Feedback is Our Future!
Based on survey feedback, the Department instituted the following work flexibilities to continue to promote work-life balance for employees and a safe work environment:
- Expanded core telework opportunities to include supervisory and managerial employees, and
- Remote work arrangements for eligible employees who initiated the remote work requests and met and maintain acceptable performance criteria to accomplish DOI's mission.
For DOI employees connected on the network, visit the DOI FEVS SharePoint for more information about our FY 2022 results. DOI leadership will continue to leverage the FEVS and other survey results to ensure our work environment is safe and inclusive.
Click the links below to view FEVS results: