Federal Survey of Hawaiian Home Lands - West Oahu
Nānākuli (white lines)
Lualualei (red lines)
Wai‘anae (red lines)
Project Phase I - Nānākuli, Lualualei, Wai‘anae
Phase I of this Federal Boundary Survey Project begins with Hawaiian home lands in Nānākuli, Lualualei, and Wai‘anae as identified in the maps. The exterior boundary lines of these homestead areas (not individual lots) will be surveyed by local land surveying contractor, ControlPoint Surveying, Inc., and are identified in white on the Nānākuli map; red on the Lualualei map; and red on the Wai‘anae map. For a closer look, the maps may be opened as larger images in another browser tab or window.
Activities and Projected Timelines
- Records research and Standards for Boundary Evidence (SBE) review began
- Project briefings conducted for various Department of Hawaiian Home Lands (DHHL) staff
- ControlPoint began setting up its control network in public spaces under a Limited Right of Entry Permit from DHHL
- Workshop for the Hawaiian Homes Commission at its monthly meeting
- Outreach to individual Hawaiian homestead lessees and Hawaiian homestead associations
- ControlPoint completed seting up its control network in public spaces under a Limited Right of Entry from DHHL
- Presentation and Q&A with beneficiaries at DHHL's Community Meeting
- Hawaiian Homes Commission authorized the issuance of a Right of Entry Permit at its monthly meeting
- Standards for Boundary Evidence review completed and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) approved the Land Surveyor Reports for the three areas, also indicating that a boundary survey was required for all three areas
March - April 2019
- ControlPoint conducts retracement surveys for all three areas under a Limited Right of Entry Permit allowing survey activities in public areas such as along streets and roads
November - December 2019
- BLM issues Special Instructions and Assignment Instructions for the field survey work.
March 19, 2020
- Field survey work suspended through April 24, 2020 due to COVID-19. Two weeks' notice to be provided when work is scheduled to resume.
- Hawaiian Homes Commission reauthorizes the right of entry permit for the West Oahu parcels.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements, Safety Guidance, and Protocols